Skip to main content

How can I stop the LogCat output from scrolling automatically in Eclipse?



UPDATE: This turned out to be a bug in R14 of the SDK tools. It has been fixed in R15 which was released on Oct. 27. Updating to the latest release solves the problem as suggested in the accepted answer.





I use the LogCat window in the Debug view in Eclipse to diagnose and fix crashes in my code. I've noticed that the LogCat output will automatically scroll down anytime new lines are added (but only after you scroll to the bottom yourself).





This is great if I'm waiting for an exception stacktrace to come up, but extremely annoying if I'm trying to read something in the log and more lines are continuing to be added at the bottom (it keeps jumping to the bottom, so I scroll back to the error, then it jumps to the bottom again).





Is there any way to make it stay where I've placed it, when I place it, but continue to scroll automatically when I reach the bottom?





EDIT: Please note, I'm aware of filters and I don't consider this a solution to the problem.





ANOTHER EDIT: If I scroll up "far enough" from the bottom, it stops scrolling automatically. Far enough might be 5 lines or it might be 500 lines, it seems to be related to how many lines are in the log. Ideally, it would stop scrolling as long as I was at least 1 line away from the bottom.



Source: Tips4all

Comments

  1. update to the latest version. the new logcat automatically filters your logs into the app-specific crash logs when you build-launch your app via eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not what happens to me. If I scroll up it won't scroll down automatically when new lines come to the logcat until I scroll it to the bottom.
    Maybe it's because of the Eclipse or the Android SDK version. I'm using the latest right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do adb logcat in a shell, and use your terminal app's scroll buffer and scrolling features to manage the logcat output.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the LogCat tab on the upper far right there is a pause button to


    "Pause receiving new logcat messages"


    That should do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're only debugging crashes, click on the red (E) (error) filter for your main logcat, and keep your filter tab set to default to view all lines that are being reported by your application.

    What ends up happening, when your application crashes it stays closed unless requested to restart by your choosing. So, the last lines in the logcat will be the crash report. This is one of the ways of how I debug crashes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think it is "more aggressive" since the latest update! And it actually stops auto-scrolling when I scroll 10 or more lines up.

    The best solution I have is clicking in the line you are interested in. If the logcat scrolls down too far and you don't see your line any more just press ArrowUp or ArrowDown to jump back to the line you were looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plop,

    Window=>Preferences=>Android=>Logcat
    Unchecked the box:
    "Display logcat view when there are messagesfro, an application into the workspace"

    ++
    Giz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[韓日関係] 首相含む大幅な内閣改造の可能性…早ければ来月10日ごろ=韓国

div not scrolling properly with slimScroll plugin

I am using the slimScroll plugin for jQuery by Piotr Rochala Which is a great plugin for nice scrollbars on most browsers but I am stuck because I am using it for a chat box and whenever the user appends new text to the boxit does scroll using the .scrollTop() method however the plugin's scrollbar doesnt scroll with it and when the user wants to look though the chat history it will start scrolling from near the top. I have made a quick demo of my situation http://jsfiddle.net/DY9CT/2/ Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Why does this javascript based printing cause Safari to refresh the page?

The page I am working on has a javascript function executed to print parts of the page. For some reason, printing in Safari, causes the window to somehow update. I say somehow, because it does not really refresh as in reload the page, but rather it starts the "rendering" of the page from start, i.e. scroll to top, flash animations start from 0, and so forth. The effect is reproduced by this fiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/fYmnB/ Clicking the print button and finishing or cancelling a print in Safari causes the screen to "go white" for a sec, which in my real website manifests itself as something "like" a reload. While running print button with, let's say, Firefox, just opens and closes the print dialogue without affecting the fiddle page in any way. Is there something with my way of calling the browsers print method that causes this, or how can it be explained - and preferably, avoided? P.S.: On my real site the same occurs with Chrome. In the ex